With Mother’s Day coming up, florists will be going insane with work, but grow very happy with incoming business. Over 20 years ago, I was one of those plant people myself. I worked one of my first real jobs in a florist and despite never up-keeping a backyard garden at home, I actually know a lot about flowers. So today just for fun, I wanted to recommend some flowers that are great to plant in the Spring weather, along with offering some beginner gardening advice. Flowers that stay in a vase are great, but why not help Mum grow a garden, or plant a flower with her, for her, or in her name or memory.
Best gardening advice I can give :
- Make sure you know what your plant needs. Sun ? Shade ? A little of both? Find the best space for the plant to be planted.
- Make sure to give your plant soil that is from dug-into earth. Every plant does better with a a-combo of soil from the actual earth, and other soil.
- Potted plants and gardened plants have different needs so make sure when you’re planting you follow the directions and get your flower advice from an expert.
- Make sure you water your plants, but each flower requires different amounts of water to grow and stay healthy. Don’t under or overdo it.
- Make sure once your flowers are growing to clip off dead flower bits. This helps your flowers grow and continue to come back for the next season.
- When cutting flowers for a bouquet, I used to cut the stems at angles, 45degree ones to be exact. This helps your plant stay healthier and have a better water intake
My fave Flowers that bloom best in spring;
- Black eyed Susan’s
- Moon flower
- Morning glories
- My favorite flower : Lillie’s
So pull out the gardening gloves and get your watering can ready! If I could do it so can you.
I wish for you all to bloom continuously with good intentions and selflessness. We must grow together not apart so make sure you’re intentions/ love are known by those you care for.