I wanted to end our week discussing one of my favorite types of food: MEXICAN. Since I can remember I’ve loved Mexican food, so when Cinco De Mayo comes whether I’m cooking or not, I celebrate the holiday by eating all the foods I love. So from me to you, I’ve gathered some Cinco de Mayo history along with a few of my favorite taco suggestions and personal guacamole recipe! I hope you all enjoy.
Cinco de Mayo:
- Cinco de Mayo means Fifth of May, and is always celebrated on May 5
- Most people think Cinco de Mayo is the Mexican Independence Day, but Mexicans celebrate their Independence Day on September 16
- Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican Battle of Puebla, that took place in 1862
- In Puebla, Mexico, the Cinco de Mayo Celebrations are still held
- In 1990 Los Angels California in the US, hosted 600,000 people for the May 5 Celebration. Imagine how many tacos were consumed then? 😋
- More than 81 million avocados are consumed on this day in the United States Alone not including other countries ( yummy)
- Other food favorites are tacos, burritos and enchiladas
- Games played include the Mexican hat relay, sombrero pass, dancing to folk music, and one of my favorites piñata times !
How to make Cinco de Mayo family fun proof?
- Have your children make their own tacos/ guacamole
- Play games
- Make and drink non alcoholic drinks… they’re so much better for you and the kids can enjoy them and don’t feel left out.
- Have a party
- Go to a party
- Or just make your day a party with inexpensive souvenirs, cups, hats, taco trays, and more
- Teach your children the facts about this and each holiday, and how to celebrate it and those to come, so they can learn appreciate and respect all cultures
- Eat tacos! These are my favorite Tacos originations are said to be unknown, but most historians date their creation back to 18th century Mexico. They can be eaten anyway you like, so that’s what makes them especially great for us and for the kiddies! The tortilla shells can be hard or soft, and each taco can include lettuce, ground beef/ground turkey/ chicken/ fish/ shrimp/ veggies / and or steak . Along with cheese, toppings of choice. Popular toppings are salsa, pico de Gallo, beans, corn, guacamole, cheese, sour cream, and plenty of secret sauces!
🌮⭐️My favorite tacos : hard shells with either chicken or beef topped with sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, red beans, shredded cheddar cheese, tomatoes,and hot sauce !Belle’s easy & yummy guacamole:
As many avocados as you want
Goya Adobo seasoning
Fresh Garlic or powder
Onion chopped small or the powder
Wash the avocados then cut them open. Do not use the skin or the seed inside. Use as many as you like. Squish the avocados with a fork into a bowl until you get the consistency you like. Then add to taste adobo seasoning, garlic, onion, lime juice, and a literal pinch of black pepper. Mix it all together and see what you need more of, then enjoy with your favorite chips or veggies !
Enjoy and eat avocados 🥑
I wish for you all to have a fun filled worry free Cinco de Mayo weekend, that includes lots of tacos !